Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Shrimp Salad

summer shrimp saladOne of the best things about my parents moving to town is the fact that I can regularly indulge in seafood. C doesn't touch any type of seafood, so I am always ordering it when we are out. We get the fresh shrimp from Kemah, which is awesome. This salad has all of my favorite summery salad vegetables: corn, avocado, tomato and cucumber. The dressing is light, bright and perfect.  The shrimp take on a decadent flavor by cooking in the bacon grease.  I went back for seconds, I really enjoyed this salad. It will be a favorite this summer, but only when visiting my parents. I heavily adapted this recipe from Cooking Light's recipe for Shrimp Cobb Salad.
Summer Shrimp Salad
makes 4 salads

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
¼ cup olive oil

6 slices bacon
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ teaspoon paprika

1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1 avocado, chopped
½ cucumber, chopped
1 cup kernel corn

Whisk together the lemon juice, lime juice and sugar. Whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream. Add more sugar if needed, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon. Drain the bacon over paper towels and crumble. Toss the shrimp with the paprika. Spoon all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat from the sauté pan. Sauté the shrimp until cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cucumber, corn and bacon. Toss the lemon dressing with the salad. Plate and top each salad with one quarter of the shrimp. Serve.
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Kelsey said...

This looks so delicious. Lucky for me, my husband loves seafood. I know we'll both love this!

Leena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leena said...

This sounds so delish! Are your parents moving to Houston to be closer to you?I'm from Houston and wish I could move back :(

katie said...

They did move to be closer to me, I am very lucky =)

Laura said...

do you think if I left out the sugar it would still be tasty?

katie said...

I really like the addition of the sugar, feel free to try it without and see how it goes. You can always add it later.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...