Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Monday, August 27, 2012

Secret Recipe Club: Crumpets

CrumpetsIt's that time of the month, time for the Secret Recipe Club.  I received the blog Lavendar and Loveage this month.  Karen lived in England, so I thought I would choose a traditional English recipe.  I went with Hot Buttered Crumpets.  The recipe seemed easy enough...but that was a bad assumption.  The first crumpet seeped out of the ring and made a huge mess on my griddle.  I then tried it again weighing down the ring with a plate, that helped a little, but with the low heat, it never really cooked through.  I decided to use less batter on crumpet number three to see if it cooked through, it looked wonderful until I flipped it, then it deflated.  It turned out to be the consistency of Yorkshire Pudding (at least I was keeping it British!)  I amped up the heat for the fourth crumpet and that helped a bit.  I think the moral of the story is that I am going to leave the crumpet baking to the Brits.
Crumpets

3 ¾ cups flour, sifted
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 package active dry yeast (2 ¼ teaspoons)
1 ¼ cups warm milk
1 ¼ warm water
½ teaspoon baking soda
Vegetable oil (for greasing griddle and crumpet rings)

Note - you will need 4 crumpet rings, or egg rings or 3”plain pastry cutters, greased.

Place the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and yeast making a well in the center. Pour in the warm milk and water and mix to give quite a thick batter. Beat well until completely combined and cover with a tea towel. Leave in a warm place to rise for about an hour until it's a light, spongy texture. Stir well to knock out any air, add the baking soda and pour into a large jug - mix well and allow to stand for a further 30 minutes.

Heat a non-stick frying pan, or a greased griddle over a very low heat with a drop of oil or butter. Wipe the pan with kitchen paper to remove excess oil/butter. Sit the greased crumpet rings in the pan and leave to heat up for a couple of minutes. Pour in enough mixture to fill the rings just over halfway up the sides. Leave to cook until lots of small holes appear on the surface and the batter has just dried out. This will take about 8-10 minutes. Remove the rings and turn over the crumpets to cook for a further minute or two on the other side. Sit the first batch of crumpets on a wire rack whilst continuing to cook the remaining crumpets.

Serve the crumpets warm, generously buttered. If you are making crumpets in advance, then reheat them by toasting lightly on both sides before serving.




Pin It Now!

12 comments:

Janie said...

Well they look delicious! Almost like an English muffin :)

Carrie B said...

I had Karen a couple months ago and made her crumpets as well! How could I not resist using the most "English" recipe I found!

amy @ fearless homemaker said...

They look good to me! I love crumpets - even though we're not British, my family ate them all the time growing up. I may have to give this recipe a try! =)

Melissa said...

Crumpets are something I've always wanted to try to make. Yours still look delicious, even if you had a little trouble! Thanks for sharing :)

Gloria Baker said...

always I wanna try crumpets anf these look delicious!

Baking Addict said...

Karen has a brilliant blog with lots of lovely British recipes. It's a shame your crumpets didn't work as you hoped but they look good and I'm sure they tasted great. Well done for tackling the crumpets!

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies said...

Too bad they didn't turn out...but they still look great!

Unknown said...

Sorry you had so much trouble with cooking these, they sure look good though!

AnneJ said...

Looks great!!! I love crumpets, I think I shall need to attempt these! :D

Jenni said...

oh! Crumpets! How fun!! These look great!

Unknown said...

They sure look great. I have never tried to make crumpets before, after your trials, I agree with you, I will leave it to my Brit friends!

Trisha said...

Love the look of these crumpets. I've never tried them before but these have shot straight onto my must try list :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...