Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
lattice chicken pot pie
Mexican street corn pasta
chicken Ghiveci
creamy chicken tortilla soup, jalapeno jack popovers
butter basted ribeyes, twice baked potatoes, broccoli
brisket tacos, pinto beans
pork souvlaki, naan

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta

creamy tomato basil pastaOne of my most favorite soups in the world is Tomato Basil. I thought it would be fantastic to adapt the recipe to make a pasta sauce with it, similar to Penne a la Vodka without the vodka.  This dish is warm and comforting, much like the soup, but heartier.  What can I say?  I am a sucker for anything with tomatoes and cream.  Next time I make this sauce I am going to try a different shaped pasta because it made me think too much of Penne a la Vodka and not enough as its own new dish.  I wanted to add fresh basil to the top, but my basil plant had died and I didn't even realize it until I went to pull off a couple of leaves.  I guess I should have paid it more attention and maybe it would still be thriving.
Creamy Tomato Basil Pasta

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon basil
2 cans (14.5 ounce) of tomatoes
½ cup water
1 cup cream
1 pound of cooked pasta

In a large sauce pan, sauté the onion in the oil over medium heat until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Add the tomato paste and basil, stir until incorporated. Add the tomatoes and water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer for 30 minutes. Using an immersion blender, puree the tomatoes until there are only a few chunks remaining. Stir in the cream and warm through, salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked pasta and serve.
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

carpet cleaning Fargo ND said...

Looks very good, our family will be using the recipe.

branny said...

made this for dinner tonight- it was really good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...